I have said this before…I am blessed with a wonderful family and the best friends! Many have called; stopped by; sent cards, flowers, and meals; driven me to doctor appointments and physical therapy; made post office deliveries, and helped with so many other things…including crafting! It’s hard for me to ask for help and I have been touched by such an outpouring of kindness and support since I dislocated and fractured my elbow. Many friends offered to help cut, label, and assemble my kits so I could get them out last month. My friend Susan spent the day with me earlier this week putting together Valentines for my Pre-K students. (I miss them!) We had so much fun making these! Laughter (and crafting) is the best therapy! Look at these stinkin’ cute fish!
This idea came from Rachel Tessman. The fish are made from envelopes! We used the Stampin Up! medium envelopes. Simply lick and stick the envelope shut then cut the long side at 4 3/8″ so it is square.
Score on the diagonal with the open side on the right. Measure and mark 1 1/2″ along the score line from the top and the bottom. Cut from each corner along the score line to each point.
Using the trimmer, line up the envelope from the other points and cut from the score line in the middle to the point on the open end of the envelope.
Use the trimmer (or scissors) to cut from the middle to the marked points along the score line as shown in the photo.
Cut a 3 3/4″ square of Designer Series Paper then cut it in half from point to point. Adhere to the front and back of the envelope as shown.
Apply Tear & Tape Adhesive along the score line. Adhere a 1/4 x 6 1/2 strip of coordinating color cardstock against the DSP.
Punch 17 gold foil stickers using the 1″ Circle Punch. Start in the center and adhere on each side of the center cut. Adhere 6 circles. Cut 5 of the circles in 1/2 and overlap the full circles adhering with glue dots. Repeat on other side.
Cut the eyes from black and calypso coral cardstock using the 1/2″ and 3/4″ circle punches. Adhere with glue dots. Cross over the ends of the envelope and adhere with a glue dot to form the tail of the fish.
You can easily slide a treat inside the fish. The Valentine M&M’s are the perfect color to coordinate with the Painted With Love Specialty Designer Series Paper we used. Even though I won’t be back to school for Valentine’s Day, I want my students to know I’m thinking of them.
The fish reminds me of a beautiful story I read to my Pre-K students every year, The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister . If you have young children or grandchildren, I highly recommend this book! (It’s available from Amazon.)
“The Rainbow Fish is an international best-seller and a modern classic. Eye-catching foil stamping, glittering on every page, offers instant child appeal, but it is the universal message at the heart of this simple story about a beautiful fish who learns to make friends by sharing his most prized possessions that gives the book its lasting value.”
I always gave my children a book for Valentine’s Day when they were younger. I would write a message inside the book, sign, and date it. Someday when they have their own children I hope they will enjoy rereading these books.
You can purchase the products used to make today’s project from my online store. Click HERE to shop or click on the images below to order!
Have a great day!
Here’s more great ways to shop and save on Stampin’ Up! in February:
- For every $50 you spend, you earn a FREE Sale-A-Bration product. New $100 level!
- Earn FREE Sale-A-Bration products with Paper Pumpkin Prepaid Subscriptions! Click HERE for details. *Order by the 10th to receive this month’s kit!
- Say hello to colorful creativity with Stampin’ Blends Markers. Click HERE for ideas and more.
- Save 10% on Occasions & Annual Catalog Bundles
- Spend $150 or more and earn FREE products with Host Rewards. Get a $25 rewards bonus when you spend $250 or more during Sale-A-Bration.
- Host Code Exclusive! Earn Free gifts from me (card kits and more) with your order. Simply enter the host code at checkout. Host Code: SUMCMQRW Click HERE to shop.
- Join the Fun and choose 2 FREE stamp sets as a bonus Jan. 3 – March 31! The $99 Starter Kit is the best deal of ALL. At a minimum, enjoy 20% off Stampin’ Up! products through July 31 (or longer). I welcome hobby demonstrators! Click HERE to learn more or contact me and let’s chat!